I pulled the distributor parts out of the Simple Green bath tonight. They look pretty good, so I dried them all off with compressed air, and sprayed the internal parts with some WD-40 to ensure I don’t get any surface rust. I also decided to paint the main distributor housing straight away.
Winter has just officially started in Melbourne, and it has started pretty quickly – it is cold and a little damp. In order to be able to paint I have to make sure the parts are totally dry, and a little bit warmer than ambient, which was around 10 degrees Celsius. I used my heat gun to warm the housing a little, and gave it a couple of light coats of primer.
I followed this up with a couple of minutes with the heat gun to flash it off and also keep it warmer than ambient. After a 2 or 3 of minutes I blew a couple of coats of VHT Cast Iron Engine Enamel on it. A few more minutes with the heat gun and then a coat of VHT Engine Enamel Clear Coat and we were done.
It’s looking better already!