This is really starting to be fun!
A busy weekend this weekend, however I managed to squeeze in a bit of work in between everything else. The progress below is stretched over both Saturday and Sunday.
As mentioned in a previous post, I had to get a couple of bits. I ordered a new distributor cap and rotor, and also bought a new oil pressure switch and temperature sender from All Americam Auto Parts. These guys are good to deal with, and their prices are reasonable. These items plus express postage cost under $100 with our club discount.
I also had to order new headlights as the current ones are still LHD American units. I found a site for a company called Hyperion Industries. I have never heard of them before, but their prices for halogen conversion kits for the four headlights were very reasonably priced. Four Narva halogen headlight including globes and three relay holders cost under $210. I would buy from these guys again.
I realized when I thought about putting the timing gear together that I needed to put a first coat of paint on the timing cover and harmonic balancer before fitting them. While I had the wire brush in the drill I took the opportunity to clean up the lower pulley and its support ring.
Now that this was complete, it was time to install the timing sprockets and chain. This is pretty simple in these old V8’s – you just make sure the dots are lined up next to each other as shown below. A good dose of assembly lube made sure that they will have something protecting them at startup.
It is worth noting that when these dots are next to each other, the engine is not at TDC, but rather 180 degrees off. At TDC the small sprocket is in the same position however the larger gear has the dot 180 degrees around as shown below. I placed a drop of Loctite Threadlocker on both of the camshaft bolts before I screwed them in to ensure they don’t come loose on me.
Next step was to install the oil deflector on the crank. I then coated one side of the gasket with Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket and placed it on the block after giving the gasket surface a quick wipe over with carburettor cleaner to remove any oil.
I then put a coat of Permatex on the timing cover where the gasket will mate.
I placed a drop of Loctite Threadlocker in each thread to make sure the timing cover bolts stay put. The last thing to do is make sure there is plenty of assembly lube on the sprockets and chain, and then place the timing cover on the alignment dowels. The bolts are done up just tight enough to compress the cork gasket without squeezing it too tight. The Permatex will do the rest!
The oil pan is a little more complex than it first seems. The cork gaskets which wrap over the crank at either end need to be trimmed as they are too long, and also need to be fitted to suit the other gaskets they will mate to in order to try and maximize the likely hood that they will seal.
Not sure how well you can see in the pics above, but I had to custom fit the end of the gaskets. You can see below where 3 gaskets meet in the corner (the timing cover and the two oil pan gaskets), and how this could be a good opportunity for an oil leak. There are four of these corners! Hopefully my diligence and patience ensures that this does not occur.
I then painted a coat of Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket on the oil pan surface.
Finally, the last step was to slide the oil pan onto the gaskets and tighten them up just enough to compress the gaskets a small amount to make sure the Permatex makes contact.
That’s the bottom end finished! Time to turn the engine over and start building the top end!!