Water Works and Paint…..

Managed to get a few bits and pieces done this week….

Water Pump

First one was the water pump.  You can see the four holes in the front of the engine…two into the block and two into the heads.

IMG_2317

I put the gaskets and bolts out in the correct place so I got it right the first time.

IMG_2318

I then put a coat of Aviation Form-a-Gasket No. 3 around each opening and used it to hold the 4 gaskets in place.  I then put a coat of Aviation on the water pump openings.  Then it was just a matter of bringing the two together and doing up the bolts!  I used stainless bolts, and gave each thread a coat of copper grease so they don’t bind.

IMG_2319

Thermostat

The thermostat and thermostat housing is next.  I bought a 170 degree (fahrenheit) thermostat which is only slightly cooler than the original 175 degree unit.  First job was to make sure that both of the mating faces are flat.  It seems obvious but it is surprising how often it goes unchecked.  I gave both surfaces a once over with a mill file, and we are ready to go.

IMG_2320  IMG_2321

I coated both surfaces with Aviation No. 3, inserted the thermostat and then placed the gasket on top of it.  It is critical for the Cadillac engine to make sure the thermostat is placed with the support lined up with the axis of the engine (apologies for the blurry pic).  This ensures the coolant flow is optimized and unrestricted, as it flows in from the sides.

I used new stainless bolts, and gave them all a coat of copper grease to ensure they don’t bind.

IMG_2322  IMG_2323 IMG_2324  IMG_2326

Once I had tightened it all up, I reached in the top of the neck and was able to move the thermostat around.  This is not how it is supposed to be – the thermostat should be firm, and it should seal.  I put my mouth over the neck and blew, and could hear air hissing out past the thermostat.

I undid the bolts and remove it all!

I put some Aviation No. 3 in the thermostat recess, and also put a smear on the rim of the thermostat.  This time when I assembled it, the thermostat was firm.  Once the Aviation No. 3 has done its job (i.e. formed a gasket!), we will be laughing.  This time when I blew on the neck there was no air leak….great success

IMG_2327  IMG_2328 IMG_2329

Paint

Time to paint the engine…hooray!  I masked off everything I don’t need painted.  I rolled up pieces of rag and poked them on the spark plug holes as well as the oil gallery holes on the engine.  I had already wiped the block and heads with carby cleaner to remove all of the oil and grease, so I was ready to start painting primer.

IMG_2330  IMG_2331 IMG_2333  IMG_2332

I forgot to take a picture of the primer coat, so lets jump straight to the top coat.  It is starting to look like an engine now.

IMG_2334  IMG_2335

Once the colour coats have dried for 10 minutes, I followed up with a coat of clear.  This really makes the colour come to life (not sure if you can see the difference in the photos).

IMG_2336  IMG_2337

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s