Backwards to go Forwards…….

Some of you may have noticed that I have been MIA for about 3 weeks.  I had to go to the US for work for a couple of weeks, which stopped work on the Cad, however I did come home with a number of needed parts, which saved hundreds on shipping 🙂  Anyway, lets get on with it…….

Water Pump Pulley Alignment

As it says at the top…..sometimes you need to go backwards to go forwards.

I need to make a lower mounting bracket for the alternator.  While checking everything in preparation, I noticed that the water pump pulley and the crankshaft pulley did not line up.  The difference was about 3.5mm, which as you can see is significant.

IMG_2495

After scratching my head for a while, I decided that I needed to remove the water pump and get some measurements.  After comparing the old and new pump, I found that the pulley mount on the new pump had not been pressed far enough on to the shaft.  Although the two pumps won’t necessarily be identical, you can see the difference below.

I also found that the heights of the bosses where the AC & Generator bracket mounts are incorrect.  Fortunatley they are all too low, so I will be able to step them up with plain washers.

IMG_2497  IMG_2498

Unfortunately I don’t have a hydraulic press, so I needed to find another solution.  I removed the back cover plate from the pump so I could support the shaft, and set up some steel blocks on the concrete to support the shaft.

IMG_2503

I then used a large nut, a spark plug socket and a large hammer to carefully push the pulley mount on further until I achieved the correct dimension.

IMG_2500  IMG_2499

Once this was done I mounted the pump back on the engine to check the pulley alignment.  This time it was pretty good.  I then proceeded to re-install the back cover plate on the water pump.  The gasket was a rubber one, so I made sure I didn’t do the bolts up too tight, however before I installed the gasket, I put a thin coat of Aviation No.3 on the metal surfaces to ensure the gasket seals 100%.  All of the bolts had a bit of Loctite Threadlocker put on them to make sure they don’t work loose.

IMG_2504  IMG_2505

All I had to do then was mount the water pump back on the engine.  Let’s hope this is the last time it needs to come off (I don’t have any more gaskets!).

Alternator mount

Next job was to fabricate a new lower mount for the alternator.  The original cast generator bracket can be used for an alternator, however it needs quite a bit of modification to get the bolt heads to clear the alternator casing, so I decided to fabricate a new one.  I went to a local steel supply and picked up an offcut of 32 x 5mm steel bar.

IMG_2481  IMG_2483

The first step was to bend the bar at 90 degrees.  Once I did this I cut the bar to length – this now gives me the basic shape.  Some time on the bench grinder and in the vice with a file, and I have a bracket.

IMG_2484  IMG_2485 IMG_2486  IMG_2487

I now needed to reinforce the bracket because it does see some stress.  I cut out a gusset to tie the flange to the base to lock it in.  Now comes the fun part.

I have a new CIG MIG 135 welder which I haven’t really used yet.  I set the welder up as per the instructions, and it welds like crap!  After persevering for a while, I changed the settings by increasing both the voltage and wire feed rate, and it became a whole lot better.  Unfortunately the welding on the bracket looked a bit awful, however I cleaned it up with the bench grinder and achieved a reasonable result.

IMG_2488  IMG_2490 IMG_2491  IMG_2492

I drilled the mounting holes and checked the fit.  Despite the crappy welding, it turned out OK.  Once the alternator is in place it will be hidden so nobody will ever know 😉

IMG_2493  IMG_2494

Fuel Pump Cover Plate

Next little job is to make a cover plate for the fuel pump mount.  I won’t be using the mechanical pump as I have an electric pump to ensure a good fuel supply.  I made a template and then used it to trace an outline onto a piece of 6mm steel out of the scrap bin at the steel supply.

IMG_2506

I don’t have a band saw, so I had to cut it out the old way, using a hacksaw.  After this I spent some time on the bench grinder cleaning up the shape.  Once this was all done I drilled the two bolt holes and test fitted it.  It looked great, so I finished cleaning it up and gave it a coat of primer.

IMG_2507

Once the primer had cured, I mounted it as I don’t want to handle it once the top coat is applied.

IMG_2508

I painted a couple of colour coats followed by a clear coat.

IMG_2509  IMG_2510

Job done.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s