Instrument Panel Removal

I removed the crash pad so I could replace the HVAC vacuum hoses as they are all old and brittle.  The first step was to remove the steering wheel.  This should be a relatively easy task, however this was not the case.  Even using a steering wheel puller would not budge it.  In the end I had to use my foot on the spanner to crack the spline and free the wheel. The rim has quite a few cracks, and is in overall a pretty tired state.  Stay tuned for a plan on this.

IMG_2586  IMG_2587 IMG_2588

Once the wheel was off, the crash pad was next. The crash pad is a heavy piece so I had to get my daughter to help get it out of the car.  Once removed, the dash cavity was accessible.  It is pretty dusty, and a lot of the dust is white, which makes me think it might have come from the the paint shop when it was painted.

IMG_2567  IMG_2568

It was clear once I turned the crash pad over that it has been resprayed.  I removed the instrument cluster, and noted that the production date is still legible – April 24, 1959.

IMG_2569  IMG_2575

The cluster was dusty inside, and the speedo input shaft was very stiff so I opened it up to see if I could sort it out.  It came apart pretty easily.  Cleaning everything up was pretty straight forward, however the speedometer proved a little more difficult.  I didn’t want to disassemble the mechanism, so I put some penetrating oil on the outside of the input shaft.  After 10 minutes of rotating the shaft and adding more penetrating oil, it finally became free.

IMG_2576  IMG_2577 IMG_2578  IMG_2579

Once everything was clean, I started putting it back together.

IMG_2579  IMG_2581 IMG_2582  IMG_2583

The final result was pretty satisfying.  The lenses are now all much cleaner and everything is shiny.  I also replaced every light globe with a new one which should make it all look pretty snappy at night.

IMG_2585

I then removed and cleaned up the ignition switch and the headlight switch.  I also removed the clock, which doesn’t seem to work.  I might have to talk to my mate Mick to see if he can have a look at it!

l am getting ready to put the engine back in, so there are lots of little jobs to do which are easier to do when the engine is out.  I reinstalled the rubber seals where the loom comes through the firewall.

I also installed a new engine hood to cowl seal.  I tried to use new fasteners, however they did not fit correctly, so I re-used the the old clips and fasteners.  Once the seal was installed, I then trimmed and connected the washer hoses to the pump which is integrated into the wiper motor.

I also installed a new speedo cable as the old one was broken.

IMG_2591  IMG_2592

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Instrument Panel Removal

  1. I’m preparing to clean my instrument cluster as well, did you repaint the black on the front bezel? If so, what paint did you use? Happy I found your blog, it’s very informative! Also, I sent my clock off to Omicron have the quartz moment installed and it came back in a timely manor and is now working great.

    Like

    1. Hi Matt

      I did not repaint anything as it is always hard to get the same finish. If you use the wrong paint I expect it will fog the lense in the hot weather so I decided to leave it as it was. My biggest problem was the white paint flaking on the steel case which is then attracted to the plastic lense by static electricity.

      Good luck with your cluster!

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s