It started off as a simple task….

It all started so simply!

Thinking of everything I need to do to start the engine, I bought some Premium 98 Octane Petrol (gasoline for my US friends) to put in the tank.  As the tank is almost empty, the plan was to add some fresh fuel plus a little bit of Methylated Spirits to draw any water through.  I bought 10 litres and started pouring it into the tank when I noticed some drips appear from the hose which joins the filler neck to the tank inlet.  I won’t take any chances with the fuel system, so I had another job to do.

I sourced some of the proper fuel filler hose from Spareco (R P Wallis) who were most helpful.  Minimum piece was 1 foot for $25.

Before I could change the hose I needed to drain the tank.

IMG_2962

After draining some of the tank into my super clean oil drain container I tried to use some cloth stuffed in the fuel container to strain the fuel.  This did not work as more fuel ended up on the ground.  Next idea was to use my funnel with a detachable hose, and stretch the cloth in between the join of the hose and funnel.  It worked a treat, and caught a surprising amount of crud….but no rust flakes  🙂

IMG_2963  IMG_2964

I tried to remove the filler tube while the tank was in place, but that was not going to happen.  You can see in the pic how old and hard the existing hose is.

IMG_2965

I then turned my efforts to dropping the tank.  The threads on the fuel tank strap hook bolt thingos were badly rusted, and the effort required to undo them was actually bending the mounting flange.  I had to use a screwdriver to hold the hook and stop the shaft twisting while I loosened the nuts.  This was a slow process even after I had cleaned the threads with a wire wheel in a drill as I wanted to make sure I didn’t damage the threads or even worse….shear off the thread.

IMG_2966  IMG_2968  IMG_2970

When I finally got the hooks released I cleaned the threads up and ran a die along them.  This made a huge difference to the effort needed to run the nuts along the threads.

IMG_2971

After a lot of jiggling I managed to remove the fuel filler neck.  I cleaned up the pipe with a wire wheel and gave it a coat of black paint.  While the tank was dropped down I had a look inside.  I am relieved to report that everything was shiny and new with no rust visible.

IMG_2972

I noted that the existing rubber hose on the tank was a little bit too long which would have made it harder to install so I cut a piece of hose about 1″ shorter.

IMG_2973

I clamped this to the tank inlet and then proceeded to reinstall the tank.  I noted that the rubber insulator under the steel strap had worn through on the rear radii so I added a small piece of EPP foam to stop any further abrasion.

IMG_2974

It was then just a matter of installing the two straps, installing the fuel filler neck and then tightening the straps to pull the tank into position.  Once this was done I poured the fuel I had back into the tank…not one drop!  I will add a further 10 litres to make sure there is plenty of fresh fuel in the tank.  Happy Daze.

IMG_2975  IMG_2976

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s