Get Ya Face on!

Alternator Diode

You may recall I had an issue with switching the engine off….that is not being able to do it.  A quick bit of research showed that I needed to add a diode in the GEN warning light circuit.  The diode needs to be between the alternator and the warning light, with the band closest to the alternator.  I purchased 10A diode, and installed it near the spade connector.  I put some heat shrink over it and then re-wrapped the loom so it looks like it belongs..

IMG_3140  IMG_3141

I remembered that the engine didn’t want to idle last time i ran it so I adjusted the mixture screws as per the workshop manual and increased the idle using the idle screw.  I turned the key and it fired into life.  More importantly I was able to switch the engine off again.  Great success!!

I made some minor adjustments to the idle, and got it idling OK.  I ran it for 5 minutes and was pleased to see that there were no leaks from the oil pan.  Yes!

I noticed that after 5 minutes of running the fuel pressure gauge moves from 3.5 psi to zero.  It did this last time I ran it even though the engine still runs OK.  I can’t help but wonder if the aluminium fuel log is absorbing heat and vaporizing the fuel.  I considered blocking off the heat crossover passage in the inlet manifold before installing it, and am now regretting not doing it.  I may remove it and block it off sometime soon as I don’t want too much heat under the hood, especially under the carby.  We don’t get below zero Celsius in Melbourne, so I don’t believe the heat crossover is so important.

Power Steering

I next decided to connect the power steering pump.  I had left this disconnected during the camshaft break-in as I didn’t want any unnecessary complications.  I installed the belt and tightened it up.  Being overly cautious I started the engine, ran it for 5 seconds and switched it off again.  I then proceeded to check for leaks.  I was expecting something as you may recall I manually flanged the hose after modifying it.  No leaks!  Yes!

I started the engine again and topped up the power steering fluid.  After turning the wheel from lock to lock I topped up the fluid again.  The whole exercise was unexpectedly uneventful.

IMG_3156

 

Front Brace and Engine Hood Latch

Now that everything seems to be working OK in the engine department it is time to re-assemble the front end.  I will be happy to remove these items from the shed as I have been walking around them for many months!

IMG_3148  IMG_3149

I installed the front cross member but didn’t tighten any of the bolts as I am expecting that I will need to adjust this when I install the hood.

IMG_3150

Next was the lower front pan, which is two pieces.  A couple of minutes trying to install the two piece pan, and it was obvious that the lower tab had been bent flat.  I have been looking at it for so long that I had got used to seeing it this way.  I bent it back to where it should be and the pan holes lined up perfectly.

IMG_3152  IMG_3153

I installed the pan and tightened it all up.

IMG_3154  IMG_3155

Mystery Panel…HELP!

I have one panel left, and can’t remember where it goes.  I am really hoping that one of my readers can tell me where it goes – I went to the trouble of cleaning and painting it, but have no idea where it needs to go.

IMG_3151

Please help!

Front Bumper & Grille Assembly Installation

Now for the cool bit…..the face!  I rigged up the bumper assembly using some nylon rope and lifted it with the crane (too heavy to lift using muscles)

IMG_3157

I presented it to the front of the car and lined it up.  10 minutes later the 4 bolts were in and I removed the crane.  The alignment was not right, so I used a car jack to lift or drop one end at a time.  Working through it I discovered that the LH fender seems to be higher than the RH fender, or there is a twist somewhere.  The great thing about these old cars is the panels are adjustable, which is also a bad thing.  I spent 2 hours adjusting the LH headlight support and tightening the bolts that were never tightened when the last person assembled the front end after painting!!

IMG_3158  IMG_3159

Eventually I got a result which was a pretty reasonable compromise.  Most people won’t notice that it isn’t perfect, so I decided to stop and be happy.

IMG_3160

The list….

The list is getting shorter.  Remaining items which need to be done:

  • Wire up the LH Headlights
  • Install Engine Hood
  • Block exhaust crossover in inlet manifold
  • Connect the brake booster to vacuum
  • Fit Clock and screw in dash
  • Install Steering Wheel and Transmission Indicator
  • Check and bleed the brakes
  • Investigate leak in Differential (axles or brakes?)

That’s all I can remember right now.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Get Ya Face on!

  1. Great progress . Well done !
    Re mystery panel, the ridge along the top may mate with a ridge elsewhere (unless it is just for strength. ) Also the pic viewed from my phone suggests a Tig weld or bright threaded bar near one end, which could give a clue. Someone will likely check your past blogs to see if it appears and where. Good luck!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s