Auspuff

Another day working on the exhaust.  More compound angles and complexity.  I wonder if Cadillac could have made the exhaust path any more difficult.  The pipe clamp I bought made many of the joins easier to tack together.

IMG_3388  IMG_3389

IMG_3390

The pipes are a different shape on the left hand side. I think this is more about the variation in my workmanship.

IMG_3391  IMG_3392

I had to make a couple of exhaust hanger brackets to locate the pipes in the correct position.  The bracket pictured below took an hour to make.  A car hoist would make this task so much easier and quicker.

IMG_3395

The pipe over the differential is an interesting one.  I first needed to open it up to be less than 180 degrees which means a couple of angled cuts at the top.  It then needs to be assembled with a twist to get the outlet in the right position.

IMG_3396  IMG_3397

IMG_3399

Another day working on the exhaust.  More compound angles and complexity.  I wonder if Cadillac could have made the exhaust path any more difficult.  The pipe clamp I bought made many of the joins easier to tack together.

IMG_3388  IMG_3389

IMG_3390

The pipes are a different shape on the left hand side. I think this is more about the variation in my workmanship.

IMG_3391  IMG_3392

I had to make a couple of exhaust hanger brackets to locate the pipes in the correct position.  The bracket pictured below took an hour to make.  A car hoist would make this task so much easier and quicker.

IMG_3395

The pipe over the differential is an interesting one.  I first needed to open it up to be less than 180 degrees which means a couple of angled cuts at the top.  It then needs to be assembled with a twist to get the outlet in the right position.

IMG_3396  IMG_3397

IMG_3399

IMG_3400

Once I had the pipes tacked together I started welding everything up.  My welding isn’t the prettiest, but it will do the job.

I got most of the welding done before I ran out of MIG wire – that put an end to the work for the day.  A long day, and I have a bunch of wiggly pipes to show for it all.

IMG_3400

I am now pretty close to having a full system, however I will need to fit the rear resonators once the rest of the system is assembled.  The other thing I need to do is add a balance pipe up front, which is a challenge for a vehicle with an X-Frame chassis.  This will make the system quieter and also improve its efficiency.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s