Process of Elimination

I am working through all of the possibilities for the slight miss so I can eliminate them without digging deeper into the engine (hopefully).  I removed each valve cover and checked the push rods to make sure they aren’t bent.  After rotating the engine a little so I could rotate each rod, I know they are all OK.  I then checked the torque on the head bolts, which was also OK.

IMG_3473

Inlet Manifold

Next I turned my attention to the inlet manifold.  Based on the measurements taken from the gaskets I thought about how I could adjust the angle of the inlet manifold mating surfaces.  I don’t want to take a lot of material off of the top edge so I need to be able to control it.  I decided the best solution would be to use my belt sander.

IMG_3468

I set up the manifold upside down and sanded the faces, leaning on the top (actual bottom) edge to ensure most of the material was removed from the top edge.  The pictures show full clean up on the top edge but minimal on the bottom edge.  This should make the faces a little more parallel with the matching faces on the heads and ensure that there are no vacuum leaks.

IMG_3464  IMG_3465

IMG_3466  IMG_3467

Knowing that the engine enamel will crack and peel with the heat from the exhaust flowing through the heat riser passage, I sanded it off of and cleaned it with acetone.

IMG_3469  IMG_3470

I painted the first coat of KBS XTC coating on the heat riser passage.  I will add a second coat tomorrow which should solidify the colour.

IMG_3471  IMG_3472

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s