Heatshield, Seat Electrics and Service

While the steering wheel is being painted I decided to do a couple of other things I have been meaning to do to the Cad.

The first job was to inspect the left hand front brake to see if I can discover why the car still pulls to the right under braking.  I disassembled the brake cylinder, cleaned everything, sanded the bore using some 800 grit sandpaper and put it all back together, making sure that the contact points of the shoe and backing plate had a light lube.  I also inspected the right hand front brake, which had a significantly higher amount of brake dust which confirmed that it is doing all of the work.  If the cylinder rebuild doesn’t fix the problem the next step will be to replace the return springs in the right hand brake.

Next I decided to install a heatshield under the carpet.  I bought it from the US some time ago, and have been meaning to install it for a long time.  Firstly I needed to reverse the car out from under the carport.  Not having a steering wheel is a bit of a problem for steering, so I used a pair of mole grips to steer the car (lucky the car has power steering!)

img_3890

I started by removing the scuff plates which hold down the edges of the carpet at the doorways.

img_3891

I then looked at what was holding the carpet in place.  The short answer was nothing.  I removed the front carpet piece and also lifted the rear carpet up.  There were a number of holes in the floor which did not have a rubber grommet in them so I sorted this out first.  You can see in the shot below where the foot heat ducts run along the tunnel and under the seat for the rear passengers.

img_3892 img_3893 img_3895 img_3897

I tapped all over the floor and found some spots where the panel resonated.  These are the parts of the floor which will transfer sound from the outside to the inside of the cabin.  I used some butyl sound deadener to dampen these spots.

img_3896 img_3894

The next step was to fit the heat insulation and glue it down using some spray contact adhesive.  The insulation I used is called EZ Cool (www.ezcool.us) and is made from a polyethylene foam core covered on both sides with aluminium facing.

img_3898 img_3899 img_3900

Once I had covered the front floor I cleaned and replaced the front carpet.  I look forward to driving the car to see how much difference it has made to the noise and heat transmission.

img_3912

While working on the carpet I decided to remove the electric seat control as it doesn’t really work very well.  I remembered that the switch controller was a serviceable item as I opened it up on my 1969 Brougham.

img_3901

To open up the switch you need to prise up the four steel clips.  You accomplish this by first using a small screwdriver in the side hole to push in the barb and lever the clip upwards.  When it moves a little, there is a slot which appears which you can then use to lift up the clip.  Remove all four clips and the switch unit comes apart.

img_3903 img_3904 img_3905 img_3902

The first thing I noticed was the plastic carrier piece was broken in two.  This would be why the centre switch can only slide the seat in the fore-aft direction.  I repaired it by first gluing the two pieces back together using cyanoacrylate (super glue).  Once cured, I stuck a small piece of carbon rod on either end to help brace it all together.

img_3906 img_3907 img_3908

I then cleaned the contacts using some P800 grit sandpaper and re-assembled the switch.  Once the back is in position, you simply push the steel clips back in place and it is all locked up.

img_3909 img_3910

I then put it back in the seat trim and reinstalled it on the seat.

img_3911

The last job for the day was to change the oil and filter.  Now that the car has been dyno tuned and the choke has been sorted, an oil change is in order so I have a nice clean start.  When I removed the sump plug, there was only a very small amount of metallic filings on the magnet. 🙂  This is exactly what I expect from synthetic oil.

I refilled the sump with 2 qts of Amsoil 10W-30 Z Rod oil and 4 qts of Amsoil premium 10W-40.  Both of these are high zinc synthetic oils which exceed the original oil specs of Cadillac in 1959.

Can’t wait to get the steering wheel back!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s